Thursday, December 15, 2005

This is so wrong!

I work for a national Toy store who's name shall remain unnamed....IT Sucks! It's nice to have the job and make the paycheck; however, this one store is run soooo badly it amazes me that it's still open. People are hired and they work long enough to get the stuff they want to get either by stealing it or with their discounts and then quit...Usually by stealing.

Then there is the management.... They use petty cash for pretty much anything they want to use it on, like personal stuff, going out to lunch and such. They'll lie to customers and then pass them off to other managers who fix the problem, but receive no repercussions for the confrontation. The store manager is very rude, but not just to certain people. I think he has a personality disorder, either that or he hates all mankind. He treats everyone like they are an idiot and ruining his day by asking a question.

Unless he's cleaning up another managers mess.

All the managers reuse coupons, which they aren't supposed to do, because they are kept track of at corporate. Does this seem to be a good way to run a business? I don't think it is, but somehow there it is.

Corporate doesn't seem to have a clue either!! We are only allowed to have so many people on the schedule. They don't make allowances for the holiday season. So we are constantly short of help, between that and the people who stay long enough to steal everything they want...We are really in need of help. Which the customers are all sure to point out to us, which of course is news to us right? Well I can't complain about them, they don't know how screwed up this place is.....Most of them seem to understand to a degree that it's not our fault in particular, we are just available to them to complain to.

To all those customers who vaguely understand what we are going through, THANK YOU!!! It's really very appreciated when you don't vent on us.

Anyway, I was asked to come in to work today. Short shift only four hours, then yesterday I was asked to call in before I came in, because the Manager had gotten a nasty letter about going over hours from corporate.
I called in at 1030. I was on hold till 1125.

ALMOST AN HOUR!!!
I can't blame my coworkers for that entirely because the phone they use to answer, hangs up from time to time. You could be talking to a customer and it blips off. Sometimes the customer calls back. Their reaction is usually one of two: understanding or incredibly pissed off...Especially when it happens multiple times.

It's been like that since I started, which was early summer. Nothing has been done to fix it, people have looked at it and it's been taken off the wall a few times, but then put back on the wall and it still the problem exists.

There's more, but I'm tired of talking about it.

2 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger Chloe said...

Ugh! I hated working retail, especially at this time of year. It always seemed like the people who made up the rules and policies had no clue what it was like to actually deal with customers. And customers at chain stores are somehow under the impression that employees are the ones who decide the prices. Duh!

I feel your pain sweetie. Just remember, it'll all be over in ten days. In the meantime focus on the discount on all the cool toys and baby clothes for my little baby blob cousin. Lots of love to you, Trav & blobby!

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Retail nothin'...I work for a giant insurance company and it is pretty much exactly like that here. :)

My advice? Keep records of everything "off" you are witness to. I'm talking dates, times, and who is involved. You never know when it might come in useful. ;)

Also, try to seperate yourself from the craziness(easier said than done, I know!)--when people treat you crappy, smile gamely and be a million times more saccharin-sweet-polite than you were being before. This infuriates people and is vastly amusing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home