Thursday, April 20, 2006

Six things about me and THE last B&N post

1. I'm pregnant
2. I'm tired
3. Having just eaten, I'm no longer hungry
4.I've been put on unpaid suspension for a bogus charge from a job I'm about to leave in a month and half and think it's mean spirited and unfair.
5. I'm pretty much over that ^ now.
6.I'm the luckiest girl in the world because I've got a great husband, a son on the way...And the best most loving family in the world!!

Yea folks, that's some s*** isn't it? I've worked at Blow Hard & Numb nuts Brookstellers for almost five years, never had a problem with management till the new management moved in. Didn't have a big problem with them till I got pregnant. All of a sudden I've turned into a bad employee breaking store policy. Except when I got my employee review I got a "meets expectations" rating and a 50 cent raise.......

Last time I went into work, this past tuesday, I was brought into the office with my Cafe manager and the Store manager and the District manager was then called on speaker phone. He was driving and his dog was barking when he answered the phone. He told me he was on vacation...... But found out just the day before that I hadn't clocked out or clocked in the previous week. This was my third break with store policy and what was my excuse for the break?

Not expecting this I wasn't sure how to answer (it's hard to remember things that happen a week ago when you are pregnant and you're lovely sister in law got married over the weekend) It slowly started coming back to me....

District manager says "I want you to be honest with me and tell me your story again" to which I reply with my recollection of what happened. He says to me "Now I need you to tell the truth and tell me again what happened." I'm getting annoyed at this point because 1. Perhaps he's not paying attention to me because he's driving, 2. He keeps telling me to "be honest" and "tell the truth", which I'm doing cause why would I lie about something like this.
and 3. I finally realize I'm being interrogated.

What was my crime exactly? Ok last Tuesday I was scheduled to work 9 to 1. I thought I wasn't scheduled to work till Wednesday, I was called and reminded when I was supposed to come in...But it was no rush they weren't busy and they needed to cut back hours anyway. I didn't rush but I didn't take my sweet time getting there either. I got there as soon as I could and ran up to let the person whom I was supposed to relieve go on her break (I forgot to clock in
The next day, Wednesday, I had asked off because I had a doctors appointment. I was scheduled to work anyway. I talked to my manager and let them know about the appointment and they said don't worry just come in at 9 and then leave to go to your appointment and come back to finish out your shift, they needed to cut back on hours anyway. I told them that the timing of my appointment might not make it possible for me to return to finish my shift and they said that was fine.

So when the time came I left for my appointment (I forgot to clock out again
I went to the breakroom when I got back and Travis was in there on his lunch break. I sat down next to him to tell him how the appointment went and he rubbed my belly. The manager came in and I told her then I forgot to clock out for my appointment, but as I got back only 30 minutes before I was to clock out again did she want me to finish out my shift or not and if she wanted me to finish did I need to clock back in or would that mess the time clock up the next day. She said don't worry about it, if you want to finish out your shift I think you are needed still. So I put my apron back on and went back up to work thinking all had been taken care of. Stayed actually 30 minutes past my scheduled time off and then rushed home as family was coming into town for the wedding and I needed to clean house. I forgot to clock out again.

Well that manager on duty doesn't remember that conversation. She never fixed the time clock. Not only that but she's the one who makes the schedules, and on the schedule for the day before I wasn't scheduled to work that day, it was on a different schedule that I was supposed to work, so you can see why I would think I wasn't supposed to......sounds like a really organized place to work doesn't it.

So back to the interogation, I'm "lying" about why I forgot to clock in the one day and for forgetting to clock out the next. I accept responsibility for forgetting to clock out but in the one case I did tell the manager on duty about the mistake, so that it could be rectified that same day.

Normally, when a time clock flub happens a flag goes up on the computer the next morning. The opening manager can then talk to the employee about the flub and get the problem taken care of. This wasn't the case with me that week, perhaps if they had talked to me about it then none of this would be happening. Who knows.

All I know is this seems mean spirited and pointless as Travis and I are going to be leaving this store and moving to Houston in about a month and a half. Travis will be transfering but I will not since I'll be staying home with Jack for a little while.

District manager ends the conference call by letting my know that I was now on unpaid suspension because this is the third violation in store policy. So I wouldn't be paid and I wouldn't be expected to come in to work. I might be reinstated if they found that I wasn't guilty of the violation, that he had just found out about this the day before and would be investigating (remember the guy is on vacation). He says "Again, just to be sure you know what this means, you are not going to be paid and you are not expected to come back to work till we call you."

I must be some sort of idiot right because he's now told me three times what "unpaid suspension" means.

I don't say anything at this point because, during this whole process I've been treated like a stupid liar. Like a bad employee. I'm neither of course as you all know. So I'm mad, crying mad. He says "Are you still there?"

I say through tears as I'm so mad "YES, Thank you for clearing up what unpaid suspension means, and have a great vacation" in a very sarcastic tone, and then made to leave the office. The store manager grabs me by the arm and tells me not to hurt myself, I throw her off and wrench open the door, she runs out after me and grabs me by the shoulders and says again "don't hurt yourself" again I throw her off. Then she grabs me again and holds me, and tells one of my coworkers who was in the breakroom to call Travis.

She's holding me rather tightly which might be good because I was crying so hard and I was starting to have a contraction. Travis came in and grabbed on to me too (refraining from pushing store manager off) and asked me what wrong.

Store manager tells Travis to take me home, don't clock out she says "just take her home" I stop crying at this point and look at her and say "NO" and she says to me "it's ok he can take you home." I'm pretty hysterical and coworker is asking me "whats wrong" very concerned, I tell her I can't tell you because I was told to keep the conversation "in this office."

heh guess this isn't the office, but screw it.

Travis got me out of the room and calmed me down a bit. I was finally able to tell him what had happened, he got pissed but refrained from going into the office and quitting (good thing cause we need insurance.)

Anyway, that's the newest bit of drama from my place of work....uh I mean former place of work. If they do reinstate me, which I'm quite sure they won't, I'll tell them they can shove it "I quit."

I was really upset about it yesterday but today I'm over it. Jerks. So sorry for the long post but it's my final rant about this. It's epic I know but it's over now....

Brian or Liz
Mike or Bev
Heidi (can you believe how horrible our store has gotten??)
Chloe
Robyn
and Doah because I don't know a whole bunch of people who have blogs either, so we can be warty together! :)

Y'all are it!

7 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Doah said...

Having been bullied on the job as a result of my pregancy myself, I would recommend that you file a complaint with whatever workplace rights advocacy group you have down there in the states. You may not have written or recorded proof, but I bet a little phone call from them, looking into the matter, would put the fear of god into your management. At least there would be some kind of record in case this sort of thing happens there again.

Oooooh. Oooh. Seething mad on your behalf.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Manda said...

Thanks Doah! I'm the fourth person who's been bullied at work about being pregnant. None of the other people work there anymore, I think they went throught the work place complaint line but that really doesn't get you anywhere.

Anyway, I'll make a complaint to the EEOC and then quit. It needs to be done.

Thanks for the encouragement!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, sweetie, that just sucks! It makes me so mad just to even read about it, and I wasn't there! It makes me even more thankful that we left when we did.

Pregnant ladies get discriminated against in every field. I saw it happen when I worked in an office once, and it was reprehensible--but the thing is, those in charge who are doing it usually are sneaky enough to cover themselves so that you could never actually prove that it was because you are pregnant! They come up with some other thinly-veiled excuse as to why they treat you crappy or let you go. They know it's against the law to discriminate, but you can never prove it. Grrrr.

Oh well, try to enjoy your little unexpected vacation. You don't need that stress or those bad vibes around you or little Jack! Grit your teeth and start counting the days, and enjoy yourself just to SPITE those jerks!

Hugs!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Manda said...

Thanks Heidi!! I am glad that I'm not there anymore. In fact I've packed quite a few boxes for our move to Houston so I feel pretty good ;)

My feet are swollen though so now I'm sitting with my feet up!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Beverly McAlister said...

the only time i worked pregnant was with abby and my boss was great, i actually worked the fri. before she was born and had her on that sun., he even let me bring her to work and gave me a place to nurse her, but after about 4mo. the engineer i worked for started making comments about my hours and how i didn't work enought to qualify for ins., people are so uhhh! but it was for the best, i was totally stressed trying to work and take care of her, after that i focused on taking care of her and it was a difficult transition, i went from being a single working mom, to a stay at home mom, it was tuff but now i'm glad i was there for her when she was little, she'll be 8 in may!! can u believe it?
When God closes a door, He always opens a window, I think He slammed the door in your bosses face! Can't wait to see what's out the window for you!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Chloe said...

I agree with the above comments. It's terrible what companies are still doing to pregnant women and working mothers in this day and age. It sounds like you've got a grip on the situation. Try to enjoy your time off and sick the EEOC up their asses. Time to be good to you and your baby.

My 6 random things are on my blog.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the bullying.

Just letting you know, I've posted the 6 things about us on our blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home