Friday, February 10, 2006

Here we rant again!

I work for a national chain book store we'll call Blockhead & Nerdball. I've worked there for almost 4 years, I used to really enjoy it. Got along with all my coworkers and the management was just as friendly. Everyone got along with everyone. Things weren't perfect, we had one manager, who was not with it like the rest of the workforce. He was a nice guy but due to circumstances, none of us were aware of, this manager went a little nuts. He'd yell at underlings for no reason, he made inappropriate comments to and about other underlings. It didn't really matter though, there was another manager who was awesome, he pretty much did his job and the job of the crazy manager.

Within the last year management has changed. We had hoped for the better. After the new manager came in there were lots of changes. Lots of people left when they heard who was coming to take over, they had worked with the person before and knew in no uncertain terms they did NOT want to work with her again.

Those people who thought they'd give her a chance didn't last much longer either. That one great awesome manager stayed a while but didn't agree with a lot of the changes the other manager wanted to make or thought needed to be made. He was honest and open in telling her things would not work and such. He was accused of stealing a certain sum of money, this person is well off and works only to keep sane. He decided he didn't need to put up with it and left.

Lots of other good people left due to harassment and discrimination. One man, who did not get along with the new manager, was put on leave (put on leave he didn't' request it) because he is also on the Board of Education; about six months ago there was Hue and Cry over changes that needed to be made there. Of course the Board of Education has nothing what so ever to do with what goes on at Blowhard & Nobhead. However, when that all blew over the man went back and requested his hours back. He has never gotten hours, he's gotten a new job at a different retail store and worked to get his realtors license. He's never been fired, is still on pay roll and recently received a check for holiday pay. This new manager was also heard by a room full of people and another manager while going thru applications, saying "Let's not go there" when reviewing an application left by a mentally disabled person. Most people were so shocked they weren't sure they heard it, most of those people didn't report it because of all the other people who had been forced out of their jobs by disagreeing with Her.

I've always been open in sharing my feelings about wanting to have a baby and be a nurse. I'll unabashedly discuss these feelings with friends and family because both are so important to me. I've discussed my feelings at work while on break (my free time and legal right) with another coworker who was pregnant and those who asked if Travis and I were planning on having kids. I feel my job in retail is a means to an end, to me it's just a job. Being a nurse is a career, a calling. Being a mother, another calling. I was born to do these things. They are both loving caring occupations and not the easiest jobs to do. I respect all moms and nurses....And nurses who are mothers. These jobs are thankless difficult jobs, jobs of sacrifice and again love.

Course people who work in Retail their entire lives have good jobs, and what would we do with out them? It is also thankless. But I don't find it to be very fulfilling, for me. I was discussing my plans for my own education and my and Travis' plans for having a baby one day, with my friend Evie. Our new manager had been making snide comments and suggesting Evie take time off because of her pregnancy. I suggested Evie complain to the "We Listen" (more accurately We'll Listen, but won't do anything") complaint line. Unbeknownst to either of us, the new manager over heard our conversation. She repeated it to me later in a conference with She and our district manager.

I did this because we worked with another friend who had a hard time with the company during and after she was pregnant, she was also accused of stealing by the management and she got so upset, quit (which had been their plan all along.) She had been subjected to snide comments about how mothers aren't organized and scatterbrained and..If you can imagine it it was said. She had complained to the "we'll listen but won't do anything" line.

Evie worked almost right up till she had her baby, she had a rough time the last few months. Once she was better, she came back to Blotface & Necrosuck to request her hours be reinstated. Her husband was over in Iraq and she needed to work to help provide for her new baby. Her hours were never reinstated. She quit and found a new job.

Both of these mothers never documented these grievances against them. Booger & Needleneck claims to be a family friendly employer and these women expected equal treatment, not discrimination and were thusly surprised and confused by their treatment.

Being the third pregnant person to deal with the Management, I've taken strides to document as much as I can. Many times I've requested copies of schedules going back to August but have not received them. Admittedly, I have decided to cut back on my own hours due to the facts that I was recovering from a back injury I sustained while on the clock at Brainless & Nitwit and I had a rough first trimester. Also due to a lack of hours I went out and found a second job. I have not been working at this second job because they have yet to put me back on their schedule after I took vacation over Christmas. I will be quitting that job shortly. I have since then requested more hours at Blockhead & Nerdball.

I have yet to receive them.

I did complain to the "We'll Listen, but wont' do anything" line and of course living up to it's name, nothing came of it. I was told my regional manager would look into my allegations, she called me back and told me she could find no proof I was being discriminated against but to let her know if things continued in this vein. I said that's fine, but when I feel capable of working more hours (first trimester problems lasted a while) I hoped there wouldn't be a problem getting them. Regional Manager assured me it shouldn't be a problem. :/

Last night I was told that someone over heard my Store manager saying to another person, shortly after I had revealed I was pregnant, that she was going to cut my hours in hopes that I'd quit. For no other reason than I was pregnant. She started making snide comments to me and with in ear shot of me. I knew what was coming.

One day in my fourth month I went to work feeling great! Finally I was thinking this damned morning sickness was ending!! I had eaten and kept it down... I felt full of energy, I was actually looking forward to work! I clocked in and started helping customers. My manager was standing at the end on my counter doing whatever she was doing, I started helping my third customer and started feeling a little off. Two seconds later I was marveling at my vision change, then at the buzzing in my ears. I realized I was about to pass out and yelled for someone to come take over the sale.

I went to sit down and my manager came running over and yelling, for someone to come help. It's a little scary feeling all the effects of passing out. Atleast I knew what was happening so I wasn't too worried and I had sat down so I would get hurt falling. Apparently my appearance had change as well, my Cafe manager commented that I looked like I had seen a ghost, I guess I was pale. I was moved to the breakroom where I was plied with cool damp towels and a cup of water, my Store manager called Travis and he came to pick me up.

Since then the snide comment have halted. I still can't seem to get hours though.

Rest assured feminist friends and family, I am doing all I can to make things right at my place of employ. I will not leave except on my own conditions, I will not be forced out by allegations of wrong doing. Nor will I leave due to the lack of hours, I will work the hours I'm given and do the best I can to help customers get their drinks and snacks in a timely fashion. I will be courteous and friendly with customers and coworkers....I'll do what I've been doing all along.

Do you all think I'm nuts? Let me know what you think about this. What do you think I should do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home